Welcome to my blog! I rant, grumble, whine, squee, sing, hand out virtual cookies, and occasionally say something meaningful.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Audrey, Wait! and music

Book Recommendation: Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Review: The reason I picked up this book was because, yes, my name was glaring at me from the cover. Reading the back, I discovered an intriguing story: a 16-year-old girl, Audrey Cuttler, breaks up with her boyfriend, who is the singer of a local band (the Do-Gooders). That night at the band's "gig", Evan (Audrey's now ex-boyfriend) introduces a new song he's written: "Audrey, Wait!". Audrey is humiliated that her ex has written a song about their breakup, of course, but she forgets it after a few weeks. But then it turns out that the boys are now signed on a record deal because of The Song, and in next to no time, "Audrey, Wait!" is in the Top 100. Audrey's life is turned upside-down as she suddenly becomes super-famous, with her own fansites, paparrazzi stalking her like the Black Plague, reporters calling her house every five minutes, and freshmen girls at her high school staring at her like she's some kind of God.
Not to mention she's got a crush on her co-worker at the ice-cream shoppe.

It was a fantasitc, funny, and realistic insight to a music-loving teenage girl's life invaded by sudden unwanted fame. I found a great connection towards Audrey, and not just because we share the same name! I also connected with her love of rock music, concerts, posters, and turning up the volume. It was wel written, with the perfect mix of funny and sweet and sad. I found pulled into the story, and the characters seemed real. Audrey's hilarious narration will keep you turning pages for sure.

I'd suggest a 13+ rating on this book merely because of the swearing and some sexual references. Rating is five stars for sure.


As to music, I'm starting to like Fall Out Boy. Just thought I'd share. =]

Happy Mother's Day!!!!!!!! Love you, mom.

1 comment: